|Alamo Lake State Park||Link||AZ, centered on Alamo Lake, a flood control and recreational reservoir. The park is located in western AZ about 38 miles north of Wenden. It is accessed via paved two lane road off either U.S. Route 60 to the south or U.S. Route 93 to the east. Owing to its remoteness, the park is often considered one of the "best kept secrets" of the system. features camping facilities and attracts wildlife enthusiasts, as the park is home to numerous wildlife species including the bald eagle. The park's remoteness and distance from cities also makes it a destination for stargazing.|
|Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park||Link||Boyce Thompson Arboretum is the largest and oldest botanical garden in the state of AZ. It is one of the oldest botanical institutions west of the MS. Founded in 1924 as a desert plant research facility and “living museum”, the Arboretum is located in the Sonoran Desert on 392 acres along Queen Creek and beneath the towering volcanic remnant, Picketpost Mountain. Boyce Thompson Arboretum is on U.S. Highway 60, an hour's drive east from Phoenix and 3 miles west of Superior, AZ.|
The Arboretum has a visitor center, gift shop, research offices, greenhouses, a demonstration garden, picnic area, and a looping 1.5-mile primary trail that leads visitors through various exhibits and natural areas.
|Buckskin Mountain State Park||Link||located near Parker, AZ. A second developed area of the park is known as the River Island Unit or River Island . Both park areas have shoreline on the CO River and views of the Buckskin Mountains. The park provides camping and water recreation opportunities.|
Both parks have been maintained with the assistance of members from the National Service Program: AmeriCorps NCCC. The park hosted the most recent team in November, 2014 on their campsite & worked with the team to provide the park with general maintenance, inputting a fence, digging water retention pits & significantly cleaning up the beach areas. The team & park rangers also began an irrigation project for the dog run that was scheduled to be finished in 2015.
|Catalina State Park||Link||AZ, that is adjacent to Coronado NF on the western slopes of the Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson. has an average elevation of 3,000 feet but varies dramatically with high ridges and low creek beds. The park includes 5,493 acres and is administered by AZ s in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service. accessed from the town of Oro Valley on AZ State Route 77, 9 miles north of Tucson.|
There is evidence that the park and surrounding area have been continuously occupied since about 5000 BCE by the Hohokam people.
|Cattail Cove State Park||Link||AZ, on the shore of Lake Havasu. The park is located on AZ State Route 95 in far southern Mohave County, about 19 miles from Lake Havasu City and 8 miles from Parker Strip. The park is public land managed by the AZ s, and available to the public for recreational purposes.|
|Dead Horse Ranch State Park||Link||AZ, on the Verde River in an area known as the Verde River Greenway. Located at approximately 3,300 feet elevation, covers 423 acres of land with 10 miles of hiking trails, 150 campground sites and several picnic areas, along with 23 group camping sites. It also offers trailhead access to the Dead Horse Trail System, located on adjacent Coconino NF land. The ranch was originally named by the Ireys family, who sold the land to the state of AZ to become a .|
The annual Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival, the "Birdy Verde", with emphasis on birdwatching, is held each April.
|Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area|
|Fort Verde State Historic Park||Link|| in the town of Camp Verde, AZ is a small park that attempts to preserve parts of the Apache Wars-era fort as it appeared in the 1880s. The park was established in 1970 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places a year later.|
Settlers in the mid-19th century near the Verde River grew corn and other crops with the prospect of getting good prices from nearby Prescott, which was the territorial capital, and from nearby miners. The rapid increase in population for the mining economy disrupted the hunting and gathering environments of the local Native American tribes, the Dilzhe'e Apache and Yavapai. In turn, they raided the farmers' crops for food.
|Granite Mountain Hotshots Memorial State Park||Link||near Yarnell, AZ, created to memorialize the nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots who died there on June 30, 2013, while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire.|
The park opened on November 30, 2016, and had over 18,000 visitors in its first year. The park, located at the site where the firefighters died, is accessed by a 3.5-mile hiking trail from the parking area off AZ State Route 89. The park entrance and trailhead is about 2 miles south of Yarnell.
The park was authorized by House Bill 2624 introduced into the AZ House of Representatives on February 11, 2014, and signed into law by Governor Jan Brewer on April 30, 2014. Planning by the Yarnell Hill Memorial Site Board began in late November.
|Homolovi State Park||Link||AZ, preserving over 300 Ancestral Puebloan archaeological sites. Homolovi or Homol'ovi is a Hopi word meaning "place of the little hills". The park is located just over a mile north of Winslow, AZ, and features historical exhibits, interpretive programs, birdwatching, and hiking. There is a year-round campground, restrooms with showers and an RV dump station. The park was closed to visitors from February 22, 2010 to March 18, 2011 due to state budget cuts.From 1986 to its 2011 reopening, the name of the park was Homolovi Ruins .|
|Jerome State Historic Park||Link||AZ, featuring the Douglas Mansion, built in 1916 by a family of influential mining entrepreneurs in Jerome, AZ, a mining region in the NE of the Black Hills, east Yavapai County. A museum is located in the old Douglas Mansion.|
reopened on October 14, 2010, after being closed since February 27, 2009, because of budget cuts and the need to repair the historic mansion. Renovation and stabilization were funded by a state heritage grant and donations from the Douglas family. The park is open on a seven-day schedule thanks to additional funding raised by Yavapai County, the city of Jerome, and the Jerome Historical Society.
The Douglas Mansion has been a landmark in Jerome since 1916, when Jimmy Douglas built it on the hill just above his Little Daisy Mine.
|Kartchner Caverns State Park||Link||AZ, featuring a show cave with 2.4 miles of passages. The park is located 9 miles south of the town of Benson and west of the north-flowing San Pedro River. Long hidden from view, the caverns were discovered in 1974 by local cavers, assisted by a state biologist who helped in its preservation.|
The park encompasses most of a down-dropped block of Palaeozoic rocks on the east flank of the Whetstone Mountains.
The caverns are carved out of limestone and filled with spectacular speleothems which have been growing for 50,000 years or longer, and are still growing.
|Lake Havasu State Park||Link||located on Lake Havasu in Mohave County, AZ. The park provides outdoor recreation opportunities such as camping, boating, and fishing. The Arroyo-Camino Interpretive Garden displays local desert flora.|
|Lost Dutchman State Park||Link||320-acre located near the Superstition Mountains in central AZ, and named after the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine, a famous gold mine legendary among the tales of the Old West. It is easily accessible about 40 miles east of Phoenix via U.S. Highway 60, the Superstition Freeway. |
The area was first developed as a day use recreation area by the Bureau of Land Management in 1972.
The 292 acres abutting the Tonto NF was transferred in 1977 via legislative action to the state of AZ, creating . The park was expanded to 320 acres in 1983.
|Lyman Lake State Park|
|McFarland State Historic Park||Link||small historic park located in downtown Florence, AZ on the corner of Main and Ruggles Streets. The park consists of a preserved courthouse and other buildings dating to the AZ Territory period. The original structure was built in 1878 with the addition of a jail in 1882 and the courthouse in 1891. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.|
McFarland Park reopened February 2011 after repairs and renovations.
|Oracle State Park||Link||AZ, preserving 3,948 acres in the NE foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. The park is named after the nearby town of Oracle. serves as a wildlife refuge, and is open every day from 9am - 5pm. In October 2011 AZ s agreed to reopen Oracle on a limited basis with a $40,000 budget if the park's Friends group can raise $21,000 in additional funds. The park has more than 15 miles of hiking trails, including 7 miles of the AZ Trail.|
For 75 years a ranching family owned the property that now comprises .
|Patagonia Lake State Park||Link||AZ, containing Patagonia Lake. The 2.5-mile-long, 250-acre lake located near Patagonia, AZ, is a popular southern AZ site for fishing, camping, boat rental, picnicking, hiking, and birding. Located inside the park is the recently established Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, AZ's first major state natural area. Created by the damming of Sonoita Creek, the lake is habitat for bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish, and is stocked with rainbow trout during the winter. Special events include an annual mariachi festival in March and bird tours and interpretive programs on request.|
|Picacho Peak State Park||Link||surrounding Picacho Peak in Picacho, AZ. The park is located between Casa Grande and Tucson near Interstate 10 in Pinal County. Its centerpiece spire is visible from downtown Tucson, a distance of 45 miles. The summit rises to 3,374 feet above mean sea level. Though appearing to be the remnant of a volcanic neck, it is now believed to be a tilted and eroded piece of rock overlain by a lava flow.|
|Red Rock State Park||Link||AZ, featuring a red sandstone canyon outside the city of Sedona. The main mission of this day-use park is the preservation of the riparian habitat along Oak Creek. serves as an environmental education facility for the public and for school or private groups, and provides limited passive recreational opportunities.|
includes a 1.4-mile stretch of Oak Creek, which upstream flows through the famous Oak Creek Canyon in Coconino NF. The rich riparian zone along the creek supports a diverse array of species. Trees in this habitat include Fremont cottonwood, AZ sycamore, velvet ash, and AZ alder.
|Riordan Mansion State Historic Park||Link||historic site in the Kinlichi Knoll neighborhood of Flagstaff, AZ, bordering Northern AZ University.|
This park features the duplex home of Timothy and Michael Riordan, lumber baron brothers who married sisters, Caroline and Elizabeth Metz. The brothers were members of an important AZ Territorial family who played a role in the development of Flagstaff and northern AZ and were involved in lumber, railroads, cattle, banking, and politics.
Cooperatively the Riordan brothers built their thirteen thousand square foot mansion in 1904 while AZ was still a territory. The home consisted of two similar six thousand square foot wings for each family, connected by a large common room.Charles Whittlesey was the architect for the Riordan homes.
|Roper Lake State Park||Link||AZ, surrounding 32-acre Roper Lake. The park is located off U.S. Route 191, 5 miles south of Safford, at the Gila River and Valley.|
The land for the park, formerly a ranch, was purchased by the state in 1972 in order to construct a reservoir.
includes a boat ramp, a natural stone hot tub, a beach for swimming, a picnic area, a campground, and cabins. The lake is stocked with bass and trout, and boats are limited to small electric motors.
|San Rafael State Natural Area|
|Slide Rock State Park||Link||an AZ located in Oak Creek Canyon 7 miles north of Sedona, AZ. It takes its name from a natural water slide formed by the slippery bed of Oak Creek. located on Coconino NF land and is co-managed by the AZ s agency and the Forest Service. Tall red rock formations that are typical of the region also surround the park, which contains a 43-acre working apple farm.|
The land was first developed by Frank L. Pendley, who arrived in the canyon in 1907 and acquired title to the land under the Homestead Act in 1910.
|Sonoita Creek State Natural Area|
|Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park||Link||AZ in the. Located in Tombstone, the park preserves the original Cochise County courthouse. The two-story building, constructed in 1882 in the Victorian style, is laid out in the shape of a cross and once contained various county offices, including those of the sheriff, recorder, treasurer, and the Board of Supervisors as well as courtrooms and a jail. Inside, the courthouse contains a museum with numerous artifacts from the town's history while outside, a replica gallows has been constructed in the courtyard to mark the spot where seven men were hanged for various crimes. The park was one of the first to be designated as a and in 1959 was the first to open following the 1957 establishment of the AZ s Board.|
|Tonto Natural Bridge State Park|
|Tubac Presidio State Historic Park||Link||, located in Tubac, AZ, preserves the ruins of the Presidio San Ignacio de Tubac and various other buildings, thereby presenting a timeline of human settlement in this Southern AZ town. The park contains a museum, a number of historic sites, an underground archeology exhibit displaying the excavated foundations of the Tubac Presidio, and a picnic area. Various cultural events are held on-site throughout the year, including Anza Days, Los Tubaqueños living history presentations, archeological tours, and nature walks. Until recently, the park was administered by AZ s and was the first park in the AZ system. As a result of budget cutbacks, the Tubac Presidio was scheduled to be closed in 2010, but was rescued by local residents and the Tubac Historical Society.|
|Verde River Greenway State Natural Area|
|Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park||Link||, formerly Yuma Crossing , and now one of the Yuma Crossing and Associated Sites on the National Register of Historic Places in the Yuma Crossing National Heritage Area. It is an AZ in the city of Yuma, AZ.|
The Yuma Quartermaster Depot was an important quartermaster depot during the 1870s. Goods were shipped up the CO River from the Gulf of CA and stored at Yuma for distribution to the desert frontier forts in the SW territories.
on the grounds of the former Yuma Quartermaster Depot. The depot was established by the U.S. Army in 1864 to store and distribute supplies to frontier army posts in what is now TX, NM, AZ, NV and UT.
|Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park|